It varies from property to property, but while bringing along the property documents disclosed in advance, a directional magnet (even a directional magnet app that exists on your smartphone will work), a measuring tape, and a golf ball or other spherical object (for checking the inclination of the building), check the following items at a minimum.
・Reason for sale
・What might be a problem in purchasing the property.
・Possible problems after the purchase.
・Minimum items to check about the land
- Confirm how far the land to be sold is (do not mistake it for the land next to the land to be sold).
- Where is the boundary? Whether the boundary is fixed or not?
- History of land use (is there a low risk of soil contamination?)
- If there are factories or other corporate facilities in the neighborhood, is there a low risk of causing bad odors depending on the wind direction?
- Is there a high risk of noise depending on the situation in the neighborhood? (Is there a road where large vehicles frequently pass by, or a hospital nearby where ambulances frequently come and go?)
- Vibration risk (is there a main street nearby?)
- Whether or not there is a high risk of natural disasters such as flood risk?
・Minimum things to check about the building
- Repair history (waterproofing of rooftops and roofs, maintenance and replacement history of equipment, etc.)
- Whether or not the building has been expanded or renovated in violation of laws? (Confirmation of legal compliance)
- Orientation of the building and rooms (check for sun exposure and relationship with neighboring buildings, etc.)
- Condition of indoor and outdoor facilities (mailboxes, air conditioning, elevators, garbage storage, parking lots, bicycle parking lots, etc.)
- Current condition of rooftop, exterior walls, foundation, etc.
- Are asbestos or other hazardous materials used? (If the seller or real estate agent knows)
- Are there any factors that would make it difficult to rent the property to a third party?
If the property you are considering purchasing is a vacation home, please also see the following feature article.